Why not start your day with Shakshouka - A Delicious Middle Eastern Breakfast. Shakshouka is a simple, one-pan egg breakfast, traditionally baked in a tomato sauce. There are many variations but this basic spicy recipe combines peppers and garlic with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper.
Image via theolivemagazine.com
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
salt & pepper
5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
6 large eggs
Chopped cilantro, for serving
Hot sauce, for serving
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute.
3. Pour in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in crumbled feta.
5. Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes.
6. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce and crusty bread
Hope you enjoyed our article on Shakshouka - A Delicious Middle Eastern Breakfast x
For a vegan alternative see http://crowdedkitchen.com
See also 5 Things To Do With A Cauliflower